DVA Contextual Blog Page 2011

Thinking about doing.

Blog Archive

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Context: Christopher Cribb





the context of this installation is that the man made structures cover stuff that we use to use for growing food as that land in the area used to grow olive tree hence why Cribb also planted an olive tree in the space. he done this to remind us about what our nation was like 50 years ago. i like this because he is thinking outside the courtyard and under it, and how he is trying to make us think about what that space use to be used for.

4 comments:

tesla said...

Thanks Roy,

You have mentioned the geographical/historical context, but you have skimped somewhat on describing the actual look and feel of the exhibition. What kinds of materials has he used? How has he arranged them? He didn't just "plant" an olive tree, it's actually held in place by three straps, which is very unusual. He has also pulled up a bunch of the paving stones. Please be attentive to all the details when you describe an artwork.

TX

Tee Tanuvasa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tee Tanuvasa said...

Hey Roy, I also liked this installation, because I used to believe that art was only produced on paper. When I saw this installation, I thought the area was under construction until Rebecca told me I could go in. I noticed that one section of the ground had bricks missing, with pieces of wood lining the sides, while another section of the ground also had bricks missing, but had pieces of wood filling up the entire gap. This gave me a feeling that maybe Christopher Cribb was trying to explore something more than just what was there 50 years ago. I'm still trying to figure out what this could be though. Have you thought of what kind of feeling this would create if it wasn't in a courtyard, but maybe in a room with carpet? Maybe then, the entire atmosphere of the installation wold change

Chatty Chat Chat said...

Tee,
again, nice post. You are quite good at being both supportive and thought provoking. Just remember to keep an ear out for each task as the goal posts shift a little. The emphasis was on context and meaning for this task.
Cheers Hobbs