DVA Contextual Blog Page 2011

Thinking about doing.

Blog Archive

Monday, March 14, 2011

DadaVincis

1891-1900
by Gerard

It is the expressionism era.
The Scream by Edvard Munch, 1893.
Casein/waxed crayon and tempera on paper.
Yeayeah German Expressionism but that doesn't mean I'm a big fan of this work or his paintings. Theres an err feeling to his work that themes it around misery, sickness and death, it could be the time in which they'er made in or maybe I have to be in the right frame of mind to understand.
Many painting of these times depicts doom and
gloom, personal statements and out cries from many artist male and female and the media art shows a social
development in progress. It could be front of humanity at the time or pre colonialism, any hoo the difference in the two says alot, one says ow shit the sky is freaking orange and the other looks fake and posy, one other thing I
recognize in the Liebig Christmas in Different Surroundings #1(German issue 1895 in the Tropics, one of six) the most detail figures are the caucasian.
I gotta say, I prefer the crafty side of 1890's then the paintings. They're very simple and pleasing to the eye. The cards describes more of that decade then Artist paintings. You'll have to check out the rest of these cads they are pretty eye catching.
Another appealing piece of that time is the currency. "CHING CHING" these also explain what kind of time it was, mostly not on the look of the coins but the medium and process it was made in compared to the fast past era of today.
Art reflects upon many things of its time frame wether from Artist work to Mainstream media, they draw various concepts of culture leaving me wondering about a different life style to be in and it can only be describe with these traces of another era in history.


4 comments:

SophieFMorris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SophieFMorris said...

Cool opinions on Edvard Munchs' work. I actually like his art. I like the emotion they hold, and I think if you get a reaction from it (how you say they're miserable etc) then the artist has been successful :)

I find myself to be quite an emotional person (I will express my emotions a lot, saying how I feel and I also express this through my photography and art), and in saying that, looking at 'The Scream' shows me that this is what Munch has done. His use of blue and orange in the sky, creates a sense of panic (with the swirling paint strokes). These strokes also pull you into the focal point (the screaming man).

I researched this painting and found that Edvard Munch had actually experienced this himself.

He was walking down the road with two friends when the sun set suddenly, the sky turned as red as blood. He stopped and leaned against the fence, feeling unspeakably tired. Tongues of fire and blood stretched over the bluish black fjord. His friends went on walking, while he lagged behind, shivering with fear. Then he heard the enormous, infinite scream of nature.

I think this painting is so bold and emotionally powered, and I love it :)

tesla said...

Hey Gerard,

I think it's a great idea that you looked at some of the commercial art and design of the era, as well as the so-called "Fine Art." But it would be great if you would put a little bit more work into the way you write - like using spell-check, and re-reading what you have written before you post it, so that it's not a crazy, non-sensical rant!

TX

Chatty Chat Chat said...

Sophie,
your comments evidence your understanding of the comment task, keep up the good work. (BTW the comments don't have to be long, so long as they cover the 3 basic's; an opinion, observation and some research)
Cheers Hobbs