The Da Vinci's
This is my view on the Post-Impressionism art movement which was
1880-1890.
Post-Impressionist paintings were seen as an overall rejection of the Impressionism's limitations on the spontaneous recording of light and colour. Yet there seemed to be a cohesion within the compositions as they were more focused on the personal experiences of the painters, and that they seemed to show a more formal order and structure to their work.
And that is why the Post-Impressionism characteristics were seen to be more accentuated brushstrokes, thicker application of paint, more personal expression, use of style over fidelity, multiple moments or angles, brighter palettes, and a move away from the journalistic details of earlier periods (due to the improvement of film).
I have tried to select pieces of art that was not as well known, and whilst the Artists names are easily recognisable I would like to think some of the pieces I have chosen are not so known. And when I went to select a few pieces I was then torn between the ever so slight difference of the European and the American movements and that their passage through this time was ever so similar. Unknownly before I wrote this, did I realise the relationships between the artists and how they influenced each other which lead on to them finding themselves ..........
Artists I selected were:
- Anton Mauve, Holland, 1838-1888 (Vincent Van Gogh's cousin in law) realist painter
- John Singer Sargent, American, 1856-1925 (But born in Italy) realist/generalist
- Claude Monet, France, 1840-1926 (Founder/Leader of French Impressionists painters)
- Vincent Van Gogh, Netherlands, 1853-1890 (Pioneered Expressionistic style Drawing until he spent 3 weeks in Mauve's studio where he then started painting)
- Anton Mauve's Changing Pasture, with the bland colour, and brushstrokes being apparent, I felt this had a real feel of being there looking at the working animals, it gave me a sense of hard work, low light dreary day so it was clearly the beginning of this post-impressionism, and he was he original influence in Vincent van Gogh's painting is what fascinated me
- John Singer Sargent's Daughters of Edward Darley Boit, shows more detail even with the bland colour but it was the slight look of exaggeration and space that I believe lead this to be classified as post-impressionism
- Claude Monet's Shadows on the Sea, The Cliffs at Pourville, shows the broken colour and the play on light, with the interesting colours he used even though the view is pretty plain the colours added a depth. He apparently used to paint the exact same view under many different conditions of light and weather. Which is a really nice idea to run with and then to see the series altogether would be amazing
- Vincent van Gogh's Autumn Landscape, this being one of his earliest paintings showed more detail and less colour which I think you can see Mauve's influences. And that it still showed the thick brush strokes just a bit dull in colour at this stage
- Claude Monet's Still Life with Anemones, was more use of colour and which highlighted the depth seen in the leaves, plus the different angled view, along with the thickened brush strokes. This one to me seemed to signify the start Monet's signature artwork probably because of the still-life, colour and brush stroke action
- John Singer Sargent's Claude Monet Painting, this one showed Sargent's friendship with Monet and his influence through this particular piece of art by bringing in more colour, depth and minimism I believe.
- John Singer Sargent's Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose, this piece has the light aspect but not so much on the thick brush strokes, as he moved more into the detail. I love how it makes it feel like the painting is really truly lit up
- Vincent van Gogh, Cafe Terrace at Night, I think Van Gogh really was starting to get going on this piece as the separation of the light from the cafe to the darkness of the sky is an incredible contrast, I really like this one
- John Singer Sargent, Paul Helleu Sketching with his Wife, this detail - colour, light, contrast all show that Sargent now has got the portraiture down pack, and I feel that there is nothing much left to question when looking at this except for what is it that Helleu is painting?
There were many other artists to look at like Gauguin, Klee, Rothko but I am happy with who I chose, and as much as I wanted to go more indepth because I loved searching further into their work, sadly I had to restrain myself.
So whilst the above mentioned were all within this timeframe, and they had their favourite ways of doing things, it shows that energetic brushstrokes with expressed emotional qualities, these Post-Impressionists were an eclectic bunch of individuals with a connection, and because of this they are now famous and appreciated.
PS. You can view each of the paintings by clicking on each time line and seeing that particular piece of artwork within that box. To exit that view, click on the top left little triangle of the popped up box and it should bring you back to the original time line. Cheers,
4 comments:
Jackie your posting of Post Impressionism is amazing. I read with great interest and have made notes because I was so taken with your detailed impressions of your posting, but also so I can research them myself to see the actual works. Your very detailed and descriptive analyses of each era and work is impressive to say the least.
Such a shame you didn't include images of the paintings to show us the huge amount of response
you put in. Would have been the icing on the cake.
2nd Comment
Hi again, as I said on the 15th I was going to research the artists and paintings you had posted so I could comment on them.
1. Anton Mauve:Changing pastures -1800s could even have been painted in NZ. This painting depicts a miserable wet winters day to perfection. Not only has Mauve achieved that wet cold look but even the cows expressions show how miserable it is. The gloomy sky also helps to capture the whole scene. Very clever.
2.John Singer Sargent's:Daughter of Edward Darley Boit - 1882. This painting has a really sombre mood about it. However Sargent's attention to detail i.e. in the shadows in the folds of the aprons and in the dress of the daughter Julia aged 4, playing with the doll, are exquiste. Some are warm and some are cool, some are light and some are dark. It pulls the painting together.
3.Claude Monet's Shadows on the Sea. The Cliffs of Purville - 1882, This very typical painting of Monet's is so full of light. He has cleverly used this pink glow of sunseton headland and in the beautiful foreground shadow. He has also used a lot of texture coming into the foreground which gives amazing perspective.
4.Vincent van Gogh's:Autumn Landscape - 1885
I particularly like the composition as the pathway leads you into the painting and beyond, while the bare tree appears also to be leading the viewer beyond the foreground to the hedgerow in the distance.
The rule of thirds has been used well here too.
5.Claude Monet's: Still Life with Anemones - 1885
I l find this work a little confusing. I think the composition is a little disjointed - but hey, who am I to ague!!!
Did you know that some of his work have been made into wallpaper and even into 3D Images?
6.John Siner Sargent's:Claude Monet Painting By the Edge of the Wood - 1885.I. This painting indicates to me that it was a lovely summers day and what better time to go painting outdoors. I know I certainly enjoy painting out in the elements - the light is always changing and it can be really challenging but that is half the enjoyment.
When researching this work I also found a beautiful watercolour by Sargent that really took my eye.
It is called Gondoliers'. The very old world of Venice and the old buildings are perfectly depicted by the watery washes with a few architectural lines, while the gondliers appear to be resting and the painting has a very relaxed feel about it. Certainly a master at work.
7. John Singer Sargents:Carnation,Lily,Lily,Rose: 1885-1886. This painting for me has a sense of fantasty about it. Little girls enjoying placing lanterns in a garden full of Lily's and Roses. One can just imagine the enjoyment they are having - I wonder if it is Halloween?
8. Vincent Van Gogh's:Care Terrace at Night - 1888
This painting is very clever in that if 'Night' wasn't mentioned in the title you would know that is was a night scene. Not necessarily by the dark starry sky but by the beautiful light he has achieved and also the lights in the windows that a placed on a solid dark purple shadow complimenting the golden front to the Cafe. This is a very strong painting both colour wise and contrast wise which is emphasised if you squint your eyes.
I also really like the sepia sketch he did of the same scene.
9.John Singer Sargent : Paul Helleu Sketching with his wife - 1889. I notice that this is considered Sargent's signature painting. I'm not surprised as it is so life like. The amount of detail is amazing even to the extent of Paul Helleu's hands and the way his little finger is held as he places the delicate brushstrokes onto the canvas. Even the way in which he is holding the palette with his fingers which are also filled with his brushes. I can definitely relate to this as I do exactly the same thing.
Once again Jackie, congratulations on your detailed posting. Hope you have enjoyed my imput as much as I have enjoyed following through on your posting.
Cheers Pam
.
Wow Jackie,
There's so much work here! And I really appreciate your going to all the trouble to use Timetoast as well. This is truly a "beyond and above the cause of duty" post! Brilliant work, but don't feel as though you have to do this every time!
Tessa X
Pam,
I think that Tessa's words to Jacqueline are appropriate for your comments as well...
Cheers Hobbs
Post a Comment