Thunder Clouds by Ansel Adams
Ansel Adams is known for his dramatic black & white photographs of the American West. I chose this photograph because of it's boldness. Adams has taken this shot from afar, so it is almost difficult to realize he has taken this shot at a low angle, looking up at the mountains & sky. He has used a long depth of field, capturing everything in detail, but has used cropping as a tool to emphasize the size of the cloud, without showing much of the foreground. Although the mountains are the closest object to the lens, the cloud captures my eye, as it bellows over the mountain tops, becoming the focal point of the photograph. He has also emphasized the size and texture of the cloud using positive and negative space. It's almost like a negative sillhouette, with the cloud being the positive space. The bold, sharp black and white tones really enhance and compliment this image, and the natural light that falls on the right hand side of the photograph creates a harsh 'candyfloss' texture on the cloud (as opposed to the smooth, crisp texture on the mountains - also creating a contrast between them).
:)
10 comments:
Pretty amazing hey.
Hobbs
Sorry about posting a few of the same thing, don't know why it did that!
Oh I thought that it was a random post about the storm this arvo!
Hobbs
LOL Chatty chat chat.
(First comment)
I can see that he loosely used the rule of thirds (the line of the mountains and the rift in the cloud)
I love Adams' images as they have such a high contrast but still retain detail.
Sorry I meant to say the line of the dark sky AND the rift in the big cloud formation form one of the rule of thirds lines :)
Thanks Sophie,
Great use of descriptive language, although I have never heard candyfloss referred to as "harsh" before!
TX
Megan, good comment, although it would be nice if you could put the "rule of thirds" into a context, for example explain the term for those who are unfamiliar with it.
Hobbs
Haha I know candyfloss isn't harsh. I came up with the term myself. It looks like candyfloss, but has a harsh element to it. Don't you think?
trees-big
mountains-bigger
clouds-biggest
Post a Comment