Artist: Sally MannTitle: The Last Time Emmett Modeled Nude
Date:1987
Size: 19-3/4 x 23-5/8 inhes
I thought this photograph was really appealing and personal because the Depth of field, contrast and lighting Mann has used to reveal her subject matter. The Depth of field is shallow with the background out of focus and Emmett in-focus revealing Mann context. Emmett body language is unstable,he looks uncomfortable being nude because of his face expression and arm position. that tells me that he's is well aware of his sexuality. Contrast also another factor with Mann with Emmett contrasted against the water and the surrounding shadows, but also the light reflection on the water. The valleys casts a shadow on the river waters giving it a lazy/still stability look. The lighting in this work is the most revealing factor behind this work because it creates sense of focus with the bright foreground on Emmett and the background of trees and rock is kinda dark with a shadow reflection on the river creating a perspective line taking the viewers eye view directly to Emmett.
3 comments:
nice blogg man ;)
but yeah from what I can see Emmett is clearly in the centre of the picture, and from what I have can also point out in this image is that it has primary sharpe (triangle) in it and you can also see line in the background. and how the camera angle's up high and kind of looking down to Emmett (young kid model) making him look small and also give him a young innocent look to this shot. and I forgot to mention positive and negative. cheers
Thanks Faafeu,
I think you've summed up a lot of the terminology Rebecca introduced in your description of this photo. Very nicely observed!
TX
Samson,
nice work, it is good to see you on track. This comment shows that you have understood the task at hand, keep up the good work.
Hobbs
Post a Comment