Jay-Z - 99 problems (2004)This music video was filmed on April 2004 and was also directed by Mark Romank.
In 2005 this music video won numerous awards such as MTV Video Music Awards for Best Rap Video, Best Director, Best Editing and Best Cinematography and was also had two other nominations for Video of the Year and Best Male Video. As you can see in this screen shot I took of the mac this video was shot entirely in black & white. All the scenes were filmed in different parts of Brooklyn, New York.
To me personally, I think this Music Videoplayed a big part in this decade, by changing your normal typical hip hop music video where as girls shake their booty etc lol this video clip on the other hand it shows us a raw and rugged side of New York. In Jay-Z's lyrics, he talks about him making it big from rags to riches, he also quotes that "he has 99 problems, but a bit*h aint one". Which translates and means Jay-Z has 99 problems, but he isn't worried about chicks or bit*hes in other words.
DPGC - Real Soon (2005)
DPGC means: dogg pound gangsta crips
artists featured: Snoop Dogg Daz and Kurupt and also ft the late Nate Dogg (R.I.P)
This music clip was directed by Anthony Mandler. In this music video, as you can see in the image of the music clip below they also used the same black and white techinque used in 99 problems. There location of where they film the clip, was all filmed in Jail. And story in clip was about the rappers Snoop Dogg and Daz and Kurupt meeting up the StanleyTookie Williams (Leader and Founder of the Gang called the Crips) played by Nate Dogg. The lyrics in the song speaks about there homie boys and friends who are lock up and who ain't ever getting out meaning Stanley Tookie Williams, if you watch the clip it shows Snoop Dogg wearing a "Save Tookie.Org" t-shirt. That was used to get people to go online to to sign their signatures for the petition, to let Stanley Tookie Williams go off death row.
Smashproof - Brother (2009)
Another Black & white video clip but this one was filmed in NZ. This video shows and tells us the inside story about the streets of South Auckland and the up bringing of these artists and through their struggle. this clip takes us (viewer) through problems that our community are going through, but are blinded form the fame that we can’t see that there just normal people just like us if you listen to the beginning of the song you can hear smash proof (the name of group) talk about the struggles and problems that they went through, that tells us that there just trying to make there dreams come true and also talking about the problems that’s happened around there areas such as South Auckland Otara. There also saying that the can change there paths and go another way instead of doing crime. This NZ Crew came from the life that they had nothing and doing crime was all they knew so there using this clip to show the choices that we can live life crime free. And this clip was filmed in Otara and I know there guy beacuse I grew up with them.

2 comments:
Hey Samson,
I think this is an awesome post! Because you have chosen something that really interests you, and you have gone into depth to discuss three examples. I also really like the way you have two US examples but in the third one you bring it to a local music video.
It just goes to show, like Rebecca says, it pays to follow what you're passionate about!
I guess only one thing I would suggest, is to talk about the meaning/history of black and white - why is it different to colour? There is a term "Film Noir" that relates to this - it was used for gangsta movies in the 1950s (as in white guys with hats, not thugs in hoodies, but you get what I mean). Also, b&w always has connotations of "realism" which is I think what you were getting at.
Good work!
TX
PS Nice try with trying to slip in your entry late and changing the date! You gave yourself away by saying RIP Nate Dogg - he died on March 15 and supposedly this entry was posted March 11!
Seriously though, I nearly didn't mark this blog because I am marking them in the order received. I was only scrolling back to check on something when I saw this. I had had you down as "did not submit."
Slipping something in late will just mean I will most likely miss it. And it will be obvious it got slipped in because I'm familiar with the other posts WHEN they were posted, so something just appearing isn't going to convince me!
Still a good post though!
TX
Post a Comment