DVA Contextual Blog Page 2011

Thinking about doing.

Blog Archive

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Da Vinci's - Te Tuhi Gallery visit

I was really impressed with

Jennifer Mason's Billboard Exhibition

'The Room at the end of the Hall'.

I am very keen on photography, and to see her awesome art work displayed as billboards was something I hadn't been expecting to be part of the Te Tuhi Gallery exhibitions.


Jennifer is an Auckland based photographer who has created surreal manipulated imagery, and to see it at a life size work was great. It gave me a sense of initial confusion, then questioning, then understanding. Which I believe she was intending to create with her reflection on the physiological condition of suburbian life.


This image in particular made me feel like I was not in the room, especially with the 'supposed' vision of a mirror at the other end, then it made me feel empty and desolate, and lonely. So perhaps that is what Jennifer intended with using photoshop to manipulate her empty spaces with altered images to create a blurred vision of reality, as photography is so often a trusted, unaltered and not-questioned view point. This image certainly raises doubt, confusion and ultimately deception..........

1 comment:

tesla said...

Thanks Jacquline,

Great to see you engaging both with the physical properties of the work, and the emotional qualities that it imparts. It's interesting what you say about the psychological condition of suburban life, and what could be a better location for such imagery, than on billboards outside the warehouse in the middle of suburbia? I think Te Tuhi have stumbled upon a great way to get art out of the gallery and into the unsuspecting public eye!

Great post!

TX