DVA Contextual Blog Page 2011

Thinking about doing.

Blog Archive

Monday, March 14, 2011

fyi... this is not a part of the timeline work...just an update on my previous blog of fav artists. :o)

Michael Smither

This is Michael's most famous modern painting of Mt Taranaki. The artist painted the mountain from an unusual angle, looking up. Notice the little rock pool in the foreground. A red tractor sits on the horizon. That really shows the distance and the space the artist is covering. I like how he has made rocks so individualised and sylised yet, realistic and comical at the same time. I bet its a Massey ferguson!!!

*******************
Alfred Road Bridge 1971 oil on board 810 x 1095
This picture represents artistic, sociological, realism and regionalism. I like the way the artist has used tonal changes, to rep. the distance depth shadows and the reflections and shadows. It is a landmark that is disappearing and this artist has produced alot of his work in in this region. He likes to represent taranaki as bright and fresh.

**********************
Louise Fong, feeler 2005, acrylic and gesso on canvas 410 x 510 x 75mm

The first time i saw this art, i instantly thought of grafetti on a concrete wall.
The dripping effect overlaps like crossing tides and it s minimalism and having no straight lines reps. natural and space to me. I like the textured layers thus creating their own shadows.
***********

Tango Red 2004, acrylic gesso and enamel on canvas 1020 x 1370mm

I love this bright explosive colour! This art has tiny black dots in the background giving the effect of distance and space in outer space! the darker tones around the edges also portray the distance effect.
*********
Away II carborundum gesso and acrylic on canvas 1140 x 705mm

Its simple, it has two colours, its texturised, its got life and representational of what could be alot of different things. To me its a pic of outerspace compared to the complexities on earth.eg texturing.
*******

Tronic - Louise Fong
I like this because, its fast movement, little life forms zipping around .. micro oranisms... on the outer edge of earth. This art looks 3D with the different shading and shadows. the dots look like little eyes or... heads
Mike Petre!!! Thank Tesla..what a neat artist, ill look into his work more, i do really like abstract as well, not a total realist!! cheers...and i have checked out Jeff Thompson too, what an interesting concept! Similar to the corrogated iron artworks in Tirau ! ill check all this out more and add to the post!
Mike Petre





my useage of the 'dirty old pile of corro iron on the farm... sick of looking at it so ill very slowly use it!!
!

3 comments:

leah said...

Second Post,
I just looked up Claes Oldenburg (what a genius) and he reminded me a bit of the architect Frank Gehry ( although Claes is way more quirky) I found out that Claes designed a giant pair of binoculars at the entrance to a building Frank Gehry designed 'Chiat/Day advertising agency'. Check it out.

leah said...

Hey, sorry, I accidentally posted the wrong thing here ( re: Claes Oldenburg)..but did google Mike Petre though as he looks like an interesting artist.

tesla said...

Hi Sarah,

It's great to see your second posting on the personal faves, it really builds on the first post and takes on board a lot of the suggestions I gave, as well as showing how much diversity there is in your own tastes and knowledge pool, cheers!

TX