DVA Contextual Blog Page 2011

Thinking about doing.

Blog Archive

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Five Inspirational Images

Hi, my name is El and I am originally from Western Australia.  Five of my favourite things are my family, eucalyptus trees and their smell after the rain.  Travel is fun - Bali was very friendly and had beautiful textures and colours in the environment. My vege. patch centres me and I enjoy growing herbs. Lastly, I enjoy being surprised by an artist that I haven't considered before - the Bodies Exhibition .





I was lucky enough to see this in London and it has been the only piece of art work that has unexpectedly moved me to tears - Leonardo Da Vinci.  It is quite a large drawing and seems, even to this day, to be sharing a tender and private moment.

I am reading this journal at the moment and find it inspiring because of its honesty, insight into a creative mind and it also reminds me of the Mayan culture because of the cartoon-like images.

This was taken at Alcatraz which has a long history of different occupants.  Only when you stand straight on to the American crest of arms can you see that the American Indians have spelt FREE into the image - this was when there was the long occupation in the 70's.  I find it powerful because it shows people can make a difference.

Bali is a beautiful country that immediately inspires me because of their use of colour in many day to day life events, the foliage, the landscape, the friendly people and an instant memory of burning incense.  I also like their furniture('every piece is uniquely made!'), ornaments and batik.


This sculpture by Naum Gabo is clever because the metal has been cut, bent and welded.  It seems like a very solid form but it is actually quite open.  I also like the shapes made by the shadows.

6 comments:

mtpipm said...

I in particularly like your first pix. It as an artwork has more to offer than most artworks. The drawing techniques used lets us into the moment, having a sense of relationship.

Chatty Chat Chat said...

El, great start to the blog, you are very descriptive and articulate at conveying your opinions.

Rose Dobbin said...

That first piece is beautiful, I probably would have been overwhelmed if I had seen it too. I'm a big fan of renaissance art/period.

To me, the sculpture almost looks as if it could be a painting, it has that kind of illusion.
It's definitely different!

tesla said...

Thanks El, what a great combination of inspirations! You have obviously seen a lot and have a lot to share with the class. It will be great to have your insight.

TX

Chatty Chat Chat said...

Rose, I believe that Taishia beat you to comment on this blog this time? It is nice to hear that you share likes, although it would be great to hear you forward suggestions of an artist who you like or a specific painting or technique...

Taishia
You have mentioned some nice observations, but as I just mentioned to Rose it would be good if you were able to give El suggestions; an artist/technique/etc
Hobbs

Rose Dobbin said...

I was just randomly commenting because I liked the drawing by Da Vinci ....:P
But I can tell you that one of Leonardo Da Vinci's (and Michaelangelo's) influences was a man by the name of Andrea del Verrocchio, he was a painter and goldsmith but was mostly involved with sculpting.