DVA Contextual Blog Page 2011

Thinking about doing.

Blog Archive

Monday, March 28, 2011


I enjoyed the Te Tuhi Gallery. I particularly liked the art piece by Elliot Collins "Held Together". I thought of it as abstract and realism. Abstract because the semiotics used along with the colours provoked thought as while I wasn't looking for words or a specific meaning, it is just letters and colours of the rainbow, - nothing specific exactly". Realism - because, as soon as the letters formed a meaning, "THE WORLDISHELDTOGETHERSOTHINLY", the whole exhibition took a new light.

The colours seperated the letters and words, the thin string held the letters made of thin nails and it was all one word and therefore in my mind said quicky. It provoked thought for the veiwer, about anything in the world that that person wanted to think about!

Whilst thinking the veiwer can participate in the collaboration of design. cultural context. It encourages the viewers and community to "tie the world together at Te Tuhi. It has included contexts such as geographical, - world, political - why is it held together so thinly???, sociological - collaborative input and the world invoves everyone Even though it has specific meaning it has included a lot more context - that is what the artist intended also. The semiotics is the focal point of the exhibition highlighted with colour. I liked this as i think it is a positive way of sending out the "message' intended! ;O)


5 comments:

Pam's Journey said...

Hi Sarah, l found the installation :Held Together" by Elliot Collins the highlight of my day too.

It touched on all that we had learnt in class that morning e.g. CONTEXT: Geographical, Economical,
Political, Historical,and social aspects. SIMIOTIC which as you say 'is the focal point of the exhibit highlighted with colour.' I totally agree with all that you said in your post and would like to congratulate you on your efforts.

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO ADD THAT BECAUSE THE PUBLIC WERE INVITED AND ENCOURAGED TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS WORK, THEY TOO ADDED TO THE AMAZING DEPTH AND COLOUR PATTERNS WHICH AT THE END OF THE 2MONTH WILL HAVE ADDED THEIR OWN SENSE OF RHYTHM, COLOUR AND DEPTH. IT COULD EVEN BECOME A SCULPTURE IN IT'S OWN RIGHT AS IT GROWS STANDING PROUDLY OUT FROM THE WALL.

I did some research on Typography in String and came up with some amazing work on
www.ajourebog/tag/string-art. I will attempt to post some examples for for you.
Cheers Pam.

Anonymous said...

This work is truly spmething that I would say is unique and inspirational, which gave me a few ideas for future works. The variety of colored string made me think that i should start to add it to my works that aren't photographic or make a piece that reels people in or maybe even something that they can interact with.

could not find another post to comment.

tesla said...

Thanks Sarah,

I appreciate the length you went to "unpack" (or should that be,
"unravel"?) this work. Personally, however, I would have used
different words to describe it. I don't think you can call something
with text "abstract" because text is by its nature anti-abstract, it
tries to pin down meaning, whereas abstraction denies meaning. There
are some cases where an abstract painting may have text written over
the top, but usually, an abstract work of art has no reference to
reality - visual or textual.

Most art with text in it falls under the heading "conceptual." I would
say that this is a conceptual artwork, based on an idea. But it has an
added dimension to the usual "dry" conceptual style by bringing in
audience participation. So I would use the word "interactive" as well.

Finally, I would probably use the term "craft", because the coloured
threads resonate with homecrafts, an area not usually respected in the
high-art world of the gallery. "Crafty Conceptualism" is pretty much
oxymoronic alliteration (did you ever learn that in English class?)
but I think it sums up this piece pretty well.

Cheers!

TX

Chatty Chat Chat said...

Pam,
good response, you have included your opinion and backed it up with observations. (Just a note, when words are in capitals, this tends to represent yelling in a internet world and texting world)
Cheers Hobbs

Chatty Chat Chat said...

Daniel,
all good that you commented on this particular post.
Don't forget that it is great to hear your opinion and how the work has influenced you. Although the task that was set was that you comment on/extend the context or the meaning (semiotics) of the work.
Cheers Hobbs