The first two images came from a book (Schilders van de Gouden eeuw/Painters of the Golden Age: Rubens, Kalf, Rembrandt, van Dyck) that was gifted to me by a woman who I used to volunteer with at one of Rotorua's art galleries....I'll have to bring it in sometime!
1. Hendrick Goltzius - Quis Evadet Nemo (Wie zal hieraan ontkomen/Who will Escape This?)
It represents vanitas (vanity), the mortality of man.
I like this piece because of the methods used for shading - hatching and cross hatching.
It's amazing what a person can do with pen and ink!
2.Bartholomeus van der Helst - Poret van Abraham del Court en zijn Vrouw, Maria de Keersseieter (Poret Abraham del Court and his wife, Maria de Keersseieter)
I wish I could paint like this! The detail in the clothing and facial features is so incredible, it could almost pass for a photograph.
3.Frank Frazetta - Cat Girl
This has an eerie vibe, I like the use of green and the way it alternates, from being detailed to blurry with a combination of other shades and colours.
Frank Frazetta was a fantasy and science fiction artist, he's done a lot of work with comic books, album/book covers and posters. (Conan the Barbarian, From Dusk till Dawn, Mothman Prophecies, etc)
4. Edgar Degas - Danseuses (Dancers)
One of the founders of Impressionism, although he preferred to be called a realist.
I love his paintings of of the dancers backstage/rehearsing. The use of color stands out for me
5.Images/Video from Cirque du Soleil - one thing I hope to do in the future to go to the Cirque du Soleil. The performances, make-up, costumes and promo posters are so surreal, I'm amazed at what the cast/crew are capable of.
:)



1 comment:
Cheers Rose, this is a great combination of visual influences, ranging from the old to the contemporary, but I guess you could say they are all "timeless." What amazes me about the second painting is not so much the detail of the faces but the satiny outfits - I can't imagine how they would paint that so realistically! TX
Post a Comment