DVA Contextual Blog Page 2011

Thinking about doing.

Blog Archive

Monday, April 11, 2011

Essay - Sofia Coppola




Given the fact that she has only directed a few movies, Sofia Coppola is one of the very few directors (and female practitioners) who has made the biggest impression on me.
I love her sense of style and the fact that she doesn't take advantage of her origins is obvious in her work. 
I chose three of her films to look at, the historical/cultural aspects of these films are fascinating to me.

Lost in Translation


Marie Antoinette

Virgin Suicides

5 comments:

tesla said...

Cheers Rose,

Some interesting thoughts in your mindmap. I like the way you have put "nepotism" with the Godfather, and Francis Ford Coppola, but then negated that in your comment saying that you don't think Sofia exploits her origins. Still, I don't think it can have hurt her!

TX

Megan said...

(Don't mark this comment) Commenting early! I have an essay that i did on colour symbolism in Marie Antoinette if you would like to bring in if you want to read. Not bragging but I got 100% for it :D

joanne said...

(Don't mark this comment)
YAY i love sofia coppola keens as to read it ! :3

Rose Dobbin said...

Thanks girls!
Awesome Megan, you're a legend, I look forward to reading it!
Will have to watch Marie Antoinette tonight and have a look for the converse shoes haha

Chatty Chat Chat said...

thanks for the heads up for not marking these comments, helps me not get confused. It's great to see you go above and beyond the "call of duty"
Hobbs