DVA Contextual Blog Page 2011

Thinking about doing.

Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Homework : Week 5
Photographer
Edward Weston
From: Vocabulary
lecture


I am drawn to this photograph in so many ways
I used it to base my wooden sculpture on last year by making a clay model first & then scaling it up for my sculpture. Just thought you may be interested as a side line.

This beautiful photograph of Edward Weston is very soft & sensual. My eyes are drawn into the work beginning with the hands and following the basic shape of a circle up to her head and down to the hands enveloping her whole body. There are the basic shapes of triangles within this circle which define the human form. The main triangle formed between the two legs crossing over each other is a negative space where as the two smaller triangles near her head are formed by beautiful soft shadows which define her shoulder blades.

There is amazing lights and contrasts within this photograph. Not only the deep shadows cast by the form but the dense dark background which is emphasised by the diagonal line which also leads your eye and attention into the photograph, whilst the shadow from the wall, which falls softly down her right arm, keeps your eye within the work and once again your eye is encouraged to return to the basic shape of the circle to retain your attention.

I also love the soft light that falls over the form and gives a very calming balance to the composition as a whole and I think the point of view also adds to this calmness especially since her face is not showing. If her face had been showing the whole dynamics of the photograph would be different. A great deal of thought has gone into the pose and shows to me that Edward Weston is one of the great photographers of his time.

I also enjoyed using this photograph for my sculpture work. To try and get those lovely soft edges and a similar form that would work in wood was very challenging but I enjoyed every moment of that particular journey.I hope you can be similarly inspired with your studio work.

You have probably gathered I am a part time DVA Student.
Cheers Pam

7 comments:

MAHA****************** said...

Hi Pam

What medium do you sculpt I myself am partial to Maori bonecarvings and glass.
I dont know much about the photographer but I notice the Photo has a submissive feel about it perhaps it the soft shades of black and white and the fact the naked is model.
I see you picked up the triangular form of the legs I also noticed that this triangular shape is framed by a circular border formed by the arms creating a seamless almost unoticable conflict or juxtaposition
I also notice the curve of the arms is almost a mirrored by curves of the lower backside.
your post was very hard to comment on as you described it almost perfectly

scorpIAN said...

I agree, you described the whole piece perfectly, (how you say) hit the nail on the head lol GREAT JOB PAM ! :)

tesla said...

Thanks Pam,

You have put so much into this post, and I really like the fact that you were able to give a personal spin on the work (and how you have worked with it in the past) as well as giving it a thorough description using the vocab terms Rebecca introduced us to.

Great job!

TX

Chatty Chat Chat said...

Maha,
great comment, on task and helpful for the group,
Hobbs

Chatty Chat Chat said...

Ian,
your comment here is not really on task, maybe it's your second one?
Hobbs

scorpIAN said...

yup its my second comment lol i commented on MAJIKs blog, the one with the Ali picture :)

scorpIAN said...

sorry :(