The artist Ive chosen is Banksy because I enjoy his work and like the contreversy he creates I also agree with alot of his sentiment.
The first image is from the movie exit through the gift shop and depicts an elephant in the room which relates to british involvment in Iraq and how they dont discuss it
The second Image I chose illustrates a photo of a young naked veitnamese girl with mickey mouse and ronald mc donald on the outside the girl where her brothers originally were is running from the nuclear napalm bomb in vietnam
which was launched by America and ronald and mickey represent the usa
In the last image banksy has created a sculpture of a brutalised phonebox in a lame position
I was suprised as most of his work is 2 dimensional.
for research I plan to look at political artists that came before banksy and see if there are any other movies of banksy besides exit through the gift shop also research news articles on banksy and other contreversial street artists.
8 comments:
hey maha. bansky is one of the most talked about artists right now, because there is so much interest on him i think it's important to find your own unique point of view and take on his art.
his book wall and piece, exit through the gift shop, and the personal statement on his website would be a good place to start for you research and maybe looking at discussions and deconstructions of his work on youtube would be good so you can peel back the layers of his work .
also you could talk about the influence on blek le rat on his iconography and how that shaped his work.
have fun with your essay and have a good holiday dude!!!!
kia ora Jo thanks for the helpful post hope you have a good holiday too !!
hey maha great choice for your essay topic!!2 for my topic is about banksy aswell. maybe u should watch the movie exit through the gift shop again and perhaps youll find more interesting things about banksy. and i find that banksy probably had no influence rather than he just makes art with what he see's around the world today buh in saying that i myself is trying to find more political artists so here's a few links i found, check them out bro
http://filipspagnoli.wordpress.com/category/art/political-artist/
http://emptyeasel.com/2007/06/06/francisco-goya-paintings-from-the-famous-spanish-artist/
http://www.thepoliticus.org/2952/famous-political-artists/
http://janedapain.net/jdap/Poeticterrorism.pdf
Thanks for your help bro
This is a great start, Maha, I like all the different angles you are looking at. I like the fact that you chose three quite different works of Bansky to concentrate on, and the fact that you have already started to "unpack" some of the meanings.
TX
Thanx tess
Joanne,
Your comment is very insightful and your suggestion of blek le rat as a reference is quite helpful for those interested in Banksy. Your use of words like iconography show you have a good handle on vocabulary, keep up the good work
Hobbs
Ian,
it's great to see that you are so active on the blog page, you seem to enjoy this format. I like the suggestion that you and Maha could potentially work together in gathering information about Banksy. And I am sure the web pages that you have suggested will come in handy
Hobbsy
Post a Comment