Following on from "EXIT through the gallery", thought I'd look at more street art. Happened to see "Concrete Canvas" featuring Julian Beever, D-face and mention of Banksy. I really like seeing art out of the gallery and being enjoyed in an everyday life situation. Believe it is on again Sunday 4.30 TVNZ7 or Sky77. Well worth a look - they repeat shows often.
Chose this street art by Beever because it's on flat concrete and shows amazing depth of field - the girl in the foreground, car in mid section and road going into the far distance. It is quite hard to tell just where the edge of the frame is - I can see it stops at the shops but how far back it goes I'm not sure?! To get 3D effect he used a lot of tonal work and the play of light and shadow. The anamorphic illusion would have taken quite awhile - the example of Big Ben on the TV show took 3 days. Hope u enjoy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
i like the scale of this image because it takes up the road and it most likely is quite overwelming and scary to step on , another artist that uses the street and the surrounding area is Blu Blu he makes films of these works and uses interesting charactersheres a link to hte video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuGaqLT-gO4
Thanks El,
Anamorphic is a big word! What does it mean in this context?
I wonder what materials he was using? Surely chalks or pastels would just wash away? What if it rained?
TX
I like it, I like it a lot. I like his play of layering depth into depth, blurring the line of what isn't there, letting your observation of it to be believable. And this relates to the audiences point of view, that the effect can only happen in the right spot. I think the gridded pavement helps him with lining up his depth of feel for his images.
I have also look up more of his works online and that his street art is a movie fantasy/cartoony like theme and was comparing that to Bansky controversial out take of society, that the street and its Art is a world wide billboard for any one audience. Positive or negative they demand your attention to confuse you to its fullest intention.
Yes, God Bless Freedom of speech.
Hi Tessa - If u happen to see the TV documentary it shows Beever practising anamorphic illusion. He constantly checks a camera put in the same position each day while he is drawing his design. This is the point at which the illusion is best observed from. The illusion of depth (or height) is created by unequal magnification of 2 axes perpendicular to each other. He uses chalk and covers them during creation - if it rains - and after that it is allowed to wash away. It is not intended as a permanent fixture.
I love this image! the composition and the the colour contrasts are dynamic and inviting. The line draws my eye right into the picture, the scale, 3d effect and depth of field make it look so realistic!. The juxtaposition is surreal with the suburbia and water/river/waterfall as the main focal point, it has surreal context which immediatly reminds me of the irregularities of S. Dali. We are on the same channel Friday nights!!! haha must go out more... What an amazing process and detail the artist goes to for such a temporary work. I guess thats what makes it so appreciated and origional. great choice/post El.;O)
Roy,
good comment, you are on task and have supplied another avenue for research, keep up the good work,
Hobbs
Gerard,
your comment is on task with lots of enthusiastic feedback, keep up the good work,
Hobbs
Sarah, a second comment! It's on task and it's interesting to see that you both watch the same T.V show, nice work
Hobbs
Post a Comment